So these three pairs were my final choices for this project.
(I apologize for the crappy photo resolution)
My words were ‘enthusiastic’ and ‘controlled’ and gave me a little bit of trouble at first.
But I continued to think about things that could be both controlled and enthusiastic
And I eventually thought of the thing in the hospital that monitors your heart rate.
And heart rates are usually very controlled things, especially when one’s heart stops beating.
That’s how I ended up with a small peak and a line.
But, when people party, their heart rates are off the charts.
That was the basis for the weird squiggles that look like happy people.
For the weird circle things on the second photo, my mind kept thinking about lanterns and candles.
And for the third one, I was inspired by wishes, dandelions, and dotted lines.
My final choice, with the help of classmates and Professor Ruby, was my first pair.
See the happy people and the dead person’s heartbeat?
I did have trouble wondering whether or not the line on the controlled side should be white on black or black on white.
I ended up making both and liking the white line on black more.
All I had to do by this point (after making the pieces) was to glue them down.
Okay, so I woke up on Sunday morning at around seven (don’t ask why) and played on my laptop until almost ten.
And I had only allocated an hour for the entire gluing process.
Brushing aside the fact that Dana is haunted and I’m a chicken, I plugged my iPod in and went straight to work.
First, I had to back my squares with white paper, but I didn’t have printer paper or the nice paper I had left over.
I eventually found some paper that I had leftover from another exercise and used that.
By the way, rubber cement is a DREAM to use.
It works beautifully.
I can’t say the same for the dry mount.
After tacking it on to the back of my pieces, I laid the four squares on the poster just the way Professor Ruby showed us.
But, once I had them there perfectly, I’d flip over the flap of my square to tack it down and, while doing so, moved it.
Let’s just say it took me three hours to get everything even, tacked down, and perfect.
But I cheated.
After making sure for my squares were PERFECTLY square and even with one another, I turned to the poster board.
And drew the lines at the exact increments directly on the poster board.
Then, I laid the squares down, tacked them, erased the pencil lines, and headed to the mounting press thingy.
After about five minutes at 270 degrees, my squares were still not glued down.
So, being the smart and efficient person that I am, I turned it up 350 degrees.
The precision and time that goes into this project really makes one’s respect for art and artists increase tenfold.
I couldn’t do this on a daily basis and my hat goes off to those who can.
But I really liked how mine turned out.